SIT50416 – Diploma of Hospitality Management
CRICOS Course Code: 105708B
Please note that this course is now superseded.
This qualification reflects the role of highly skilled senior operators who use a broad range of hospitality skills combined with managerial skills and sound knowledge of industry to coordinate hospitality operations. They operate independently, have responsibility for others and make a range of operational business decisions.
This qualification provides a pathway to work in any hospitality industry sector as a departmental or small business manager. The diversity of employers includes restaurants, hotels, motels, catering operations, clubs, pubs, cafés, and coffee shops. This qualification allows for multiskilling and for specialisation in accommodation services, cookery, food and beverage and gaming.
No licensing, legislative or certification requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
This course is delivered on full-time (20 contact hours per week) basis across 132 weeks* consisting of 90 study weeks (ten terms of nine weeks each) and scheduled holiday breaks.
Students, who have previously undertaken related studies, may apply for recognition of prior learning or credit transfer which may result in a shortened course. Contact us for further details.
* The duration of this course is reduced to 1 year when packaged with SIT40416 Certificate IV in Hospitality course.
The total cost of this course is $20,000 payable in ten instalments of $2,000 each. The due date of each instalment will appear in your Letter of Offer.
There is an additional non-refundable $200 enrolment fee payable at the time of enrolment, and a $250 materials fee payable for this course (refundable if you decide to cancel your course prior to commencement).
Students who successfully complete this course will be issued with a SIT50416 Diploma of Hospitality Management.
A Statement of Attainment will be issued to students who partially complete this course.
All certification documentation will be issued by Cachet Training Pty Ltd trading as VIA Education.
Mode of delivery
This course will be delivered full-time (20 contact hours per week) using blended mode with predominantly face-to-face delivery (15 hours per week) in classroom environment on campus and some distance delivery (5 hours per week) using Moodle platform. Additional self-directed study at home is also required to achieve the desired course outcomes.
This course also includes mandatory 360 hours (18 weeks) of work placement in an approved hospitality venue.
Language of delivery
This course will be delivered and assessed exclusively in English.
The following entry requirements apply to this course:
Age requirement: All students must be over 18 years of age.
English language proficiency requirement: Overseas students must demonstrate at least an Upper Intermediate (IELTS 5.5 or equivalent) level of English prior to commencement.
Academic requirement: All students must have completed Australian Year 12 or its overseas equivalent; or an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Certificate III or higher qualification prior to commencing this course.
Upon successful completion of SIT50416 Diploma of Hospitality Management course, students may elect to undertake further studies in SIT60316 Advanced Diploma of Hospitality Management or seek an employment outcome.
Employment outcomes from this qualification may include: Restaurant manager, Café manager, Bar manager, Club manager, Front office manager
Units of competency
To be awarded the SIT50416 Diploma of Hospitality Management at VIA Education students will need to complete all 28 of the units set out below:
- BSBDIV501 Manage diversity in the workplace
- BSBMGT517 Manage operational plan
- SITXCCS007 Enhance customer service experiences
- SITXCCS008 Develop and manage quality customer service practices
- SITXCOM005 Manage conflict
- SITXFIN003 Manage finances within a budget
- SITXFIN004 Prepare and monitor budgets
- SITXGLC001 Research and comply with regulatory requirements
- SITXHRM002 Roster staff
- SITXHRM003 Lead and manage people
- SITXMGT001 Monitor work operations
- SITXMGT002 Establish and conduct business relationships
- SITXWHS003 Implement and monitor work health and safety practices
- SITHIND001 Use hygienic practices for hospitality service
- SITHIND004 Work effectively in hospitality service
- SITXHRM001 Coach others in job skills
- SITXHRM004 Recruit, select and induct staff
- SITXHRM006 Monitor staff performance
- SITHIND002 Source and use information on the hospitality industry
- SITXWHS002 Identify hazards, assess and control safety risks
- BSBITU402 Develop and use complex spreadsheets
- BSBRES401 Analyse and present research information
- SITXFIN001 Process financial transactions
- SITXMPR004 Coordinate marketing activities
- SITXCOM002 Show social and cultural sensitivity
- SITHFAB016 Provide advice on food
- BSBITU306 Design and produce business documents
- BSBRSK501 Manage risk
Students are provided with an assessment manual at the commencement of each unit of competency, along with standard learner materials.
The assessment manual sets out the range and types of assessment tasks that will be used for the unit.
Each unit will comprise of number of assessment tasks which include providing responses to short answer questions; compiling portfolio of evidence of completed work; participating in practical activities such as demonstrations, role-plays and presentations.