SIT40521 – Certificate IV in Kitchen Management
CRICOS Course Code: 110913K
This qualification reflects the role of chefs and cooks who have a supervisory or team leading role in the kitchen. They operate independently or with limited guidance from others and use discretion to solve non-routine problems. This qualification provides a pathway to work in organisations such as restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafes and coffee shops, or to run a small business in these sectors. The skills in this qualification must be applied in accordance with Commonwealth and State or Territory legislation, Australian standards and industry codes of practice.
No licensing, legislative or certification requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
This course is delivered on full-time (20 contact hours per week) basis across 80 weeks consisting of 54 study weeks (six terms of nine weeks each) and scheduled holiday breaks.
Students can apply for recognition of prior learning or credit transfer if they have previously undertaken related studies. Recognition of previous studies may result in a shortened course.
The total cost of this course is $21,000 payable in six instalments of $3,500 each. The due date of each instalment will appear in your Letter of Offer.
There is an additional non-refundable $200 enrolment fee payable at the time of enrolment, and a $1500 materials fee payable for this course (refundable if you decide to cancel your course prior to commencement).
Students who successfully complete this course will be issued with a SIT40521 Certificate IV in Kitchen Management.
A Statement of Attainment will be issued to students who partially complete this course.
All certification documentation will be issued by Cachet Training Pty Ltd trading as VIA Education.
Mode of delivery
This course is delivered full-time (20 contact hours per week) using blended mode (two-thirds of contact hours is via the face-to-face mode and one-third is via distance mode using e-Learning platform). Additional self-directed study at home is also required to achieve the desired course outcomes. This course will not be assessed online.
This course also includes mandatory 720 hours (36 weeks x 20 hours per week) of work placement in an industry workplace.
Language of delivery
This course will be delivered and assessed exclusively in English.
The following entry requirements apply to this course:
Age requirement: All students must be over 18 years of age.
English language proficiency requirement: Overseas students must demonstrate at least an Upper Intermediate (IELTS 5.5 or equivalent) level of English prior to commencement.
Academic requirement: All students must have completed Australian Year 12 or higher or its overseas equivalent prior to commencing this course.
Upon successful completion of SIT40521 Certificate IV in Kitchen Management course, students may elect to undertake further studies in SIT50422 Diploma of Hospitality Management or seek an employment outcome.
Employment outcomes from this qualification may include: Chef or Chef de Partie.
Units of competency
To be awarded the SIT40521 Certificate IV in Kitchen Management at VIA Education students will need to complete all 33 of the units set out below:
- SITHCCC023 Use food preparation equipment
- SITHCCC027 Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery
- SITHCCC028 Prepare appetisers and salads
- SITHCCC029 Prepare stocks, sauces and soups
- SITHCCC030 Prepare vegetable, fruit, eggs and farinaceous dishes
- SITHCCC031 Prepare vegetarian and vegan dishes
- SITHCCC035 Prepare poultry dishes
- SITHCCC036 Prepare meat dishes
- SITHCCC037 Prepare seafood dishes
- SITHCCC041 Produce cakes, pastries and breads
- SITHCCC042 Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements
- SITHCCC043 Work effectively as a cook
- SITHKOP010 Plan and cost recipes
- SITHKOP012 Develop recipes for special dietary requirements
- SITHKOP013 Plan cooking operations
- SITHKOP015 Design and cost menus
- SITHPAT016 Produce desserts
- SITXCOM010 Manage conflict
- SITXFIN009 Manage finances within a budget
- SITXFSA005 Use hygienic practices for food safety
- SITXFSA006 Participate in safe food handling practices
- SITXFSA008 Develop and implement a food safety program
- SITXHRM008 Roster staff
- SITXHRM009 Lead and manage people
- SITXINV006 Receive, store and maintain stock
- SITXMGT004 Monitor work operations
- SITXWHS007 Implement and monitor work health and safety practices
- SITHCCC026 Package prepared foodstuffs
- SITHCCC040 Prepare and serve cheese
- SITHCCC038 Produce and serve food for buffets
- BSBTWK501 Lead diversity and inclusion
- SITXCCS015 Enhance customer service experiences
- SITXWHS006 Identify hazards, assess and control safety risks
Students are provided with an assessment manual at the commencement of each unit of competency, along with standard learner materials.
The assessment manual sets out the range and types of assessment tasks that will be used for the unit.
Each unit will comprise of number of assessment tasks which include providing responses to short answer questions; compiling portfolio of evidence of completed work; participating in practical activities such as demonstrations, role-plays and presentations.